In this article, we explain the basic rules of Texas Holdem Poker. In this version of poker, the first thing to do is to place the corresponding bets on the blinds, even before dealing with the cards. The responsibility for this lies with the players located in these positions at the table. The small blind is located on the left side of the dealer or “button,” while the big blind is located on the left side of the small one.
Dealer Position (Button) and Blinds
Once the blinds are in, the dealer must deal with the cards to all the players at the table in a clockwise direction. All players are dealt two cards face down and are usually dealt with over two rounds. Players then have to choose whether to bet (fold), raise (raise), or call (bet). If you occupy the big blind position, then you will be the last to choose and, apart from that, you will have the opportunity to check if the bet has not increased.
The game can be played following the following rules.
- Pre-flop stage: The Texas Holdem Poker begins at the draw two cards. Both cards will be face down and are called Hole Cards. You can start with the bets and review your cards, and from them make the decision of your move, which can have three results
- Pass: The player contributes nothing to the pot and discards his hand until the next turn.
- Call: The player must call the previous player’s bet.
- Increase: The player must increase the bet.
First play on the pre-flop stage
- Flop Stage: After the pre-flop stage is completed, the flop stage is played. This is done by removing the first card from the deck and placing it face down on the table. Then three cards are drawn and turned face up. Once this happens, post-flop betting begins. The rules for this stage are the same as those during the pre-flop stage, with two exceptions. The first player to bet is the one to the left of the dealer, and the player can choose to bet or check.
Betting Round on the Flop Stage
- Turn Stage: Once the betting ends, the dealer places a card on the table face up (known as “burn and turn”). Then the third stage of betting begins.
Turn betting round
- River Stage: In this stage, the river is dealt with, which consists of the last card that is placed face up. With this last card, each player has a total of 7 cards. However, in poker, five cards are used, so each player must choose which ones they want to make their combinations with.
River betting round
- End of the game: The game can end in two ways:
- During the showdown, which is when all the remaining players must compare their cards and whoever has the best hand will be the winner.
- When a player places a bet that no one calls.